March 18, 2006
MEMORANDUM NOTICE TO: DEMOCRACTIC PARTY OF NEW MEXICO
FROM: THE HISPANO ROUNDTABLE OF NEW MEXICO
As you begin your very important work we implore you to keep in front of you the issues critical to New Mexico’s future. As the party in power, it is your responsibility to answer the call of YOUR constituents in YOUR communities.
Don’t forget that 43% of the New Mexico population is Hispanic. 53% of school age children are Hispanic. We are a Hispanic majority State and with those numbers come these statistics:
Hispanos still have the highest drop out rate in New Mexico
(as high as 70% in some school districts)
- The achievement gap for Hispanos is at an unacceptable level
(In Albuquerque in 2001 only 54.7 % of Hispanos passed the 10 th grade high school proficiency exam as compared to 83.2% of their anglo counterparts.)
- Hispanos still have the highest teen pregnancy rate in New Mexico
( Latina girls make up 49% of the NM population but deliver 70% of babies born to girls ages 15-19)
- We rank 48 th in the nation for percent of children living in poverty)
- We are 3 rd highest in the country with a general population living in poverty
- We have the highest percentage of citizens in our state without health insurance (33.2% of all Hispanos have no health insurance in NM)
- And on the economic development side 22% of all NM businesses are Hispanic owned and yet they only account for 6% of sales and receipts.
The record during the last legislative session addressing the above is dismal. It takes leadership and accountability to address other issues:
The low percentage of Hispanos in high levels of state government.
- Salary levels of Hispanos in state government
- The number of Hispanos in state government who left because of disrespectful treatment or others who were asked to leave and replaced by non Hispanos. 20 people from the Dept. of Labor lost their jobs last year when a new contract was issued. They were supposed to be reassigned and instead were terminated.
- The largest number ever, of state appointees with high paying new state government jobs that serve at the pleasure of the Governor.
WHAT HAPPENED TO MINIMUM WAGE? WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WORKING FAMILIES TAX CREDIT? AND WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OFFICE OF HISPANO/LATINO AFFAIRS? ALL OF THOSE WOULD HAVE BEEN A START!
OUR MESSAGE TO YOU THIS MORNING……AS YOU MOVE FORWARD ON YOUR POLITICAL JOURNEY, START LOOKING BACK AT THE PEOPLE IN THIS STATE WHO BELIEVE IN YOU, WHO SUPPORT YOU!..... AND DON’T TAKE THEIR VOTE FOR GRANTED IN 2006!